By Ugochi Obiajunwa
Some contributing factors of skin discolouration are aging, sun exposure, hormonal causes, such as pregnancy and birth control. Even acne scars can leave behind darkened spots. Instead of using harsh chemical based cosmetic products or treatments for preventing skin discolouration, which can harm your skin, go for this easy natural home remedy. Although there are many natural remedies for treating skin patches like baking soda, apple cider vinegar. Here, we are talking about how to treat dark spots/skin discolouration using potatoes.
Below are some of the best and widely used potato methods:
- Potato Facial For A Face Lift
This is the simplest way to use potatoes on your skin. Set aside a few slices while cooking or make it whenever you need a face lift. For the best results, always cleanse your face first.
- Peel 1 potato.
- Cut 2 or 3 slices measuring ½-inch each.
- Massage each slice onto your skin. Focus on the pigmented areas.
- After 15 minutes, wash your face
- Potato Mask For Skin Discoloration
If you prefer a leave-in mask, puree potato in a blender. Use it every day as a regular treatment. If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator to maintain freshness.
- Peel and cube 1 potato.
- Blend until smooth. There should be no chunks.
- Spread 1 tablespoon onto your face.
- Wait for 15 minutes and wash off.
- Potato Sugar Scrub
This method is For a brighter complexion, add sugar to the potatoes. It’ll exfoliate dead skin cells filled with melanin. Your skin will also feel softer, smoother, and healthier
- Puree potato as instructed above.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the potato puree with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Apply it to your face, scrubbing in circular motions.
- Rinse off and pat dry.
- Potato Lemon Juice Mask
Lemon has natural bleaching properties and organic honey works as a great moisturizer. These help remove skin pigmentation. Lemon also is a great source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that protects the skin from UV damage and lightens dark spots. The vitamin C will reverse photo damage, a major cause of discoloration.
- Combine 1 tablespoon pureed potato with 3 to 5 drops lemon juice.
- Stir well.
- Spread onto face, taking extra care around the eyes.
- Wash and pat dry.