5 Facts about Paul Le Geun, Nigeria’s new Technical Adviser
On Monday 18 July, 2016, Nigeria Football Federation confirmed the appointment of Paul Le Geun as Super Eagles new Technical Adviser.
There have been talks of the NFF settling for Le Geun but it has just been officially confirmed. We have done a little bit of research and we would like to share 5 interesting facts about the new Technical Adviser
1) He was once a footballer himself- he played for French champions Paris Saint Germain and France as a midfielder.
2) He coached the Oman national team from 2011-2015.
3) Le Guen was capped 17 times for France. An injury sustained in a friendly put an end to his football career.
4) He has a pretty impressive resume- he’s coached clubs like Rennes (1998-2001) and Olympique Lyon (2002-2005). He won Ligue 1 four consecutive times and also led the team to the UEFA Champions league quarter final.
5) He also coached Super Eagle rivals the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon in 2009 and led the team to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
So that’s it, are you impressed yet? We know we are, can’t wait for him to lead the Super Eagles to greatness!
UEFA releases Best player of the year nomination list
UEFA has released the list of nominees for the Best player of the year award. The usually suspects, Ronaldo, Messi and Antoinne Griezmann made the list of 10. Wales international Gareth Bale’s impressive performance for both his club and country did not go unnoticed, he has also been nominated for the prestigious award.
Here is how the list came about: Journalists from each of Uefa’s 55 member associations provided a list of their five best-ranked players. The 10 players with the highest votes were nominated.
See full nominees list below…
1) Gareth Bale (Real Madrid & Wales)
2) Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus & Italy)
3) Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid & France)
4) Toni Kroos (Real Madrid & Germany)
5) Lionel Messi (Barcelona & Argentina)
6) Thomas Müller (Bayern Munich & Germany)
7) Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich & Germany)
8) Pepe (Real Madrid & Portugal)
9) Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid & Portugal)
10) Luis Suarez (Barcelona & Uruguay)
Three finalists from the 10-man shortlist will be announced by August 5th.
Victor Moses eager to please new Chelsea manager
Nigeria international Victor Moses is determined to please the new sheriff in town as he hopes to stay at Chelsea and prove himself this season.
The 25-year old has only made 12 starts for The Blues since he moved to Stamford Bridge in 2012. He has been loaned 3 consecutive seasons to Liverpool, Stoke and West Ham.
Moses, who was one of the few that stood out in Chelsea’s last preseason game, hopes to stay at Chelsea this season and earn a spot on the starting eleven.
“There is a new manager here,” Moses told EveningStandard.
“I have to show my talent and make sure I work hard to get into his thoughts. I will keep working hard and see what happens after that.
“We have a new manager and he knows what he wants from us. We are still getting used to the way he wants us to play, but it’s going to be good.”
We would really like to see more of Moses, we hope Conte takes note of his impressive display.
Andy Murray withdraws from Rogers Cup
Worlds No. 2, Andy Murray has pulled out of the upcoming Rogers Cup in Toronto, saying he needs rest after the just concluded Wimbledon.
Murray made the Rogers Cup his last year, with a stunning victory and this will be the first time he will not take part in the Canadian event since 2006.
The 28-year old, who has just been cleared to represent Scotland in the Olympics said: “I always look forward to coming to Canada and it’s the first time I’ve missed the tournament- the guys there do a great job and always look after the players.
“My body needs some recovery time after reaching the latter stages of tournaments over the past few months.
“I’m sorry to my fans in Toronto but I look forward to being back in Canada next year.”
Rogers Cup begins July 23 and ends July 31.