Ifetayo Ali-Landing, 14-year old Nigerian girl has won first place in the grand National music competition in the US.
Meet her in 9 points:
1. Ali-Landing began her musical studies on violin at age 3, then she switched to cello at age 4.
2. She has studied with teachers at summer music camps at Suzuki-Deerfield, Illinois Wesleyan, Sphinx Performance Academy, and Meadowmount.
3. Ifetayo was honored at the Friends of the IPO (Illinois Philharmonic Orchestra) Rising Stars Showcase in 2013 at age 10, when she recorded the first movement of the Saint-Saëns Cello Concerto No. 1 in A minor. To date, this video has over 48,000 YouTube views and over 8 million Facebook views.
4. she is also the Junior Division 2nd Place Laureate of the 2016 Sphinx Competition.
5. She was one of the winners of the 2016 DePaul Concerto Festival for Young Performers competition and performed as soloist with the Festival’s Oistrakh Symphony Orchestra.
6. She is the Junior Division 1st Place Laureate of the 2017 Annual Sphinx Competition and performed as soloist with the Sphinx Symphony Orchestra at Orchestra Hall in Detroit.
7. Over the years, she has placed or received honorable mentions for the Society of American Musicians (SAM) competition, Depaul Concerto Festival for Young Musicians competition, and the Music Festival in Honor of Confucius competition.
8. She also recorded “Celtic Hymn” from Northern Skies for cello and piano by James MacMillan who discovered the video and complimented Ifetayo via Twitter.
9. Her most recent YouTube recordings are Cello Concerto No. 1, 1st Mvt by Dmitri Shostokovich (2016) and Pampeana No. 2 for violoncello and piano, Op. 21 by Alberto Ginastera (2017).
Written by Clement Oluwasegun